Christian is serving in the Stratford area in London.

He will arrive home in Salt Lake City on June 4 about 5:15 p.m. and will speak in church on June 8 @ 12:30.


The address of the mission office is:

England London Mission
64/68 Exhibition Road
South Kensington
London SW7 2PA
England, United Kingdom

Monday, May 20, 2013

The Gift of the Holy Ghost and Listening


Ahoy again,

            Well we had a pretty uneventful week.  We taught lots of lessons, interviewed a kid for baptism, and went into London for Zone Conference -- all of which were very good.
             I liked Zone Conference a lot. President Jordan talked about how the Holy Ghost is not an on/off switch, like a light switch. But it is more like a dimmer switch, which I thought was a very interesting thing to say.  I really agree with that.  It made me look back and think how I have taken the gift of the Holy Ghost for granted since I was eight.  I looked back and thought about how strongly it has influenced me on my mission.  It’s everything out here.
            One of our investigators is really feelin’ it right now, which is good.  They all say we bring a good feeling into their home.  One lesson we had this week was when we stopped by the home of a guy who had not been taught in a long time.  He didn’t know we were coming by but when he opened the door he let us in and sat us down and just talked the whole time.  We didn’t even get a word in, really.  He talked about the gospel, coming to church -- all sorts of things. It was crazy for him to do that.  He just sat us down and then talked about how we can help him.  It was pretty easy.  We really didn’t have to do much.
            Listening is much more important than speaking, and that is a perfect example.  That is something I have been trying to do more is listen more than I talk.  Letting the person you are teaching do most of the talking will help them understand the gospel more, and help you resolve whatever is holding them back. It’s a hard thing to do but it makes all the difference.
            Other than that we are just having a good time.  I am pretty sure this will be my last week here in Sittingbourne with Elder Mongelli.  One of us will get moved next week for sure so I will let you know about that one.
            That’s all I’ve got to say, really.  Hope you all have a good week.

Elder Purdy