Christian is serving in the Stratford area in London.

He will arrive home in Salt Lake City on June 4 about 5:15 p.m. and will speak in church on June 8 @ 12:30.


The address of the mission office is:

England London Mission
64/68 Exhibition Road
South Kensington
London SW7 2PA
England, United Kingdom

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Stayin' in Hitchin

Hello Hello,

            Looks like I will be staying in Hitchin for at least another 6 weeks, which is not bad at all. I am pretty excited.  I really feel strongly that if we work hard this transfer we will have a baptism, so that’s the goal.  I really want one! I haven’t had one in a long time so I am feeling pretty good about staying.
            This week was really hot.  I was dying.  It made people around here more willing to listen though.  It was pretty successful getting out and about talking to people -- met some interesting folks.
            I had a workover in Essex last week.  It was weird.  I went into Harlow, and while we were there I could see some road signs for Southend-on-Sea.  Boy, did that take me back. Those were good times.  Essex sure is a funny place.
            It was a good workover with an Elder from Brazil named Elder Pereira.  He was really eager to show me some crazy tea they drink called chimarrão.   I think Elder Jessee knows what I am talking about.  Apparently they drink it a lot in the part of Brazil where he is.  Anyways, he concocted this strange beverage and we sat up for like an hour just talking and passing it back and forth.  It was pass-the-peace-pipe basically.  It didn’t taste too bad though.  I kind of liked it.  It was kinda chunky, but it was good. 






with Elder Pereira from Brazil
                           We had a good lesson that day as well.  We were able to find and teach a family which never happens over here!  They had this potential family that we went and stopped by and we were just sitting with them making small talk, and then the conversation turned into a lesson. As the lesson went a long the mum said “out of all the religions I like yours the best.”  Then they asked a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon and their daughters came to mutual that evening and loved it.  It was a good day.
          Everything in Hitchin is going good as well.  We are seeing members like crazy.  President Jordan is really stressing the importance of members in missionary work, and Hitchin has a very strong ward, so we go see lots of members and are helping them share the gospel with their friends and family. We use the story of Philip talking to Nathaniel in the New Testament where Philip tells Nathaniel to “come and see” Jesus Christ.  We tell the members to say that to all of their friends – to say why the gospel makes them happy and then to say “come and see for yourself.”  Hope it works out well. If you look back on church history, the gospel was spread through member missionary work.  They shared it with their friends and family! So we really want to get these people doing the same thing.
            It’s been hot, it’s been difficult, but I am happy to be out here.  I really love the gospel and the way it blesses my life, and it is great being out here and taking it to these people.

Love,
Elder Purdy